Are your racing sails ready to provide top performance in the Newport to Bermuda Race? Are your seldom seen storm sails ready for immediate use? Does you rating reflect the actual dimensions of your sails?
Facing a squall line 200 miles offshore is not the place to start wondering if your heavy air sails are up to the challenge. A small change in your rating can make the difference between victory, and defeat in a 600+ mile race. An unnoticed problem with any one of your sails that is just a minor inconvenience on a day sail can become a major headache, or even a safety issue when offshore. Quantum Sails Newport wants to help your Newport to Bermuda experience to be successful, competitive, and above all safe.
Starting immediately we will be giving priority to any and all service work for Newport to Bermuda Race entrants.
Sails can be dropped off at our Merton Rd. loft during normal business hours, or on weekends by appointment. Pick up service is available, which can be free depending on distance and size of sails.
- Comprehensive inspections to discover any hidden problems that could crop up during the race.
- Recuts to optimize dimensions or flying shape will help speed you down the course.
- Sail measurements with Universal Measurement System certificates to make sure that you are being rated fairly for the sails you are flying.
The marine environment is hard on all equipment. Sails experience damage and wear. Sails change shape, and size. Mylar laminate, and nylon sails are especially prone to shrinkage over time. A new measurement certificate could change your rating enough to make a significant difference over a race of this distance.
- Rating updates: U S Sailing must be notified of your intent by 5 PM, May 26, 2016.
- Sail measurement certificates: must be received by the race office by 5 PM, June 3, 2016.
Quantum Sails Newport
Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (weekends by appointment)
Contact David Simmons, or Kim Calnan